Q: I have been on finasteride for about 7 months. After my latest haircut I can see that my scalp is shiny. I read that is from sebum buildup and it can cause a layer that clogs the growth of hair. I was wondering if this is true and, if so, how can it be treated? — T.C., Philadelphia, PA
A: It is not true. Hair loss is caused by the miniaturizing effects of DHT on the hair follicle, not by blocked pores.
- Can you use a hair transplant to treat radiation-induced permanent hair loss in pediatric patients?
- If I Am Starting to Thin, Should I Have A Hair Transplant Or Try Medication First?
- Can Resistance Training Accelerate Hair Loss?
- Why Am I Still Losing Hair (Shedding) After 6 Months on Minoxidil And Finasteride?
- What is the Incidence of Hair Loss in Adults?