Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair RestorationWelcome to our state-of-the-art hair restoration facility located in midtown Manhattan, New York City. Bernstein Medical is dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of hair loss in men and women using the most advanced technologies. Hair transplant surgery is performed using Dr. Bernstein’s pioneering Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) and Robotic Follicular Unit Extraction (R-FUE) techniques. Visit our center for a private physician consultation to receive an honest assessment of your hair loss and your best possible treatment options. Schedule a Physician Consultation
New York Center for Hair RestorationBernstein Medical - Center for Hair Restoration offers the most advanced diagnostic and therapeutic techniques for the treatment of hair loss. The Center is conveniently located in midtown Manhattan, New York City, close to three international airports and major rail hubs. For our international patients, we offer initial evaluations via photo consultations. Learn more »
Hair TransplantationAll hair transplant procedures performed at Bernstein Medical are based on Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT), a technique Dr. Bernstein pioneered, and Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE), which he introduced into the medical literature with Dr. Rassman. Dr. Bernstein was the first physician on the East Coast to use robotic technology for FUE. He continues to innovate by working with Restoration Robotics, Inc. to refine and improve the ARTAS Robotic System. Learn more about hair transplants »
Patient InformationTo help you get started with an evaluation, new patients will find forms and links for your first visit. There are also links and forms for current medical and surgical patients. Our full-time staff is happy to assist you on the phone, online, or in person. We welcome you to Bernstein Medical – Center for Hair Restoration. Visit Patient Information »
Columbia UniversityDr. Bernstein is Clinical Professor of Dermatology at the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Columbia University in New York and holds an MBA from Columbia Business School. Dr. Bernstein instructs the residents in general dermatology and in the specialized art of surgical hair restoration. His current research is in robotic hair transplantation. In addition to his own research, Dr. Bernstein assists his colleague, Dr. Angela Christiano, in clinical studies on hair cloning and genetics. Read about Dr. Bernstein »
Robert M. Bernstein, MD, FAAD, ABHRS is Clinical Professor of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York and a world renowned hair transplant surgeon. His landmark medical publications on FUT and FUE have revolutionized hair restoration. Dr. Bernstein is respected for his honest and ethical assessment of a patient's options and keen aesthetic sense in hair transplant design. More »
About Dr. Wolfeld
Michael B. Wolfeld, MD is a board certified plastic surgeon and an attending physician at Lenox Hill Hospital on Manhattan’s Upper East Side in New York City. Dr. Wolfeld is an associate at Bernstein Medical where he performs hair transplants using the newest technologies including the ARTAS Robotic Hair Transplant system. Dr. Wolfeld is nationally published and has lectured extensively on cosmetic surgery. More »
About Dr. Shah
Sejal Shah, MD, FAAD is an associate at Bernstein Medical and an assistant attending in Dermatology at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, an affiliate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University. Dr. Shah specializes in hair loss and restoration in women and has initiated clinical trials investigating medical treatments for scarring hair loss. More »
- What is hair transplantation?
- What is Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)?
- What is Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)?
- What is a robotic hair transplant?
- Am I a candidate for a hair restoration procedure?
- Should I choose FUT or FUE?
- ARTAS System vs. Neograft?
- What does a hair transplant cost?
- How long does a procedure take?
- How long does it take to heal?
- How do I set up a consultation?
- Do I meet with the doctor?
View All »
- What is a robotic hair transplant?
- How is robotic FUE different than manual FUE?
- Does the ARTAS robot perform the entire procedure?
- Does a robotic hair transplant eliminate pain and scarring?
- Is there an ideal patient for robotic FUE?
- Are there more risks using a robot or handheld instruments?
- How does the ARTAS System work?
- How long does a robotic procedure take?
- How does recovery after robotic FUE compare to FUT or FUE procedures?
- Can I preview results of my robotic hair transplant?
- Does the robot work with all types of hair?
View All »
- Where in NYC is Bernstein Medical located?
- What is the fee for a consultation?
- Who performs hair loss consultations?
- Will the doctor at the consult also perform the surgery?
- How long does a consultation last?
- What if I can't visit your NYC facility for a consult?
- Can I schedule a hair transplant after a photo consult?
- Are lab tests required prior to surgery?
- What can I expect the day of my procedure?
- Does you accept insurance and can I submit for insurance reimbursement?
View All »
Dr. Bernstein is honored to appear among the top 1% of medical specialists in the country in the 14th edition of Castle Connolly's America's Top Doctors. His inclusion is in recognition of his pioneering career in surgical hair restoration and the treatment of hair loss.
Dr. Bernstein presented the ARTAS robot's new "Follicular Unit Graft Selection" technology and preliminary results of a bilateral pilot study at the 2015 ARTAS User Group Meeting in Newport Coast, CA.
While there have been significant advances in new stem and cell-based hair loss therapies, surgical hair restoration remains today the only effective treatment option for restoring lost hair.
Restoration Robotics has published a white paper case study on how Dr. Bernstein utilizes the ARTAS Robotic Hair Transplant system's tools to minimize donor area scarring after Robotic FUE.
Dr. Wolfeld presented experiences in robotic hair transplant procedures to the 88th annual Plastic Surgery “The Meeting,” the largest international conference on plastic surgery.
- Are There Side Effects or Safety Concerns in Using PRP for Hair Loss?
- Does Finasteride Need to be Taken Every Day?
- How Does PRP Therapy for Hair Loss Work?
- Why is Robotic Recipient Site Creation an Advantage?
- How Does the ARTAS Robot Create Recipient Sites?
- How Does Robotic FUE Differ from Other Hair Transplant Procedures?
- Does Propecia Work for Life or Does it Stop Working Over Time?
- Can Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Effectively Treat Hair Loss?
- Is Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) a Viable Hair Restoration Treatment?
- How Do You Operate the ARTAS Robot?
- How Does the ARTAS Robot Control Depth of Incision in Robotic FUE?
- Can Hair Transplant Treat Scarring Alopecia?