Bernstein Medical - Center for Hair RestorationWelcome to our state-of-the-art center for hair restoration in midtown Manhattan, New York City. Our board certified doctors offer the most accurate diagnosis and advanced treatments for hair loss in men and women. Treatments include:
- Robotic Hair Transplants (Robotic FUE)
- Follicular Unit Transplants (FUT)
- Medical Treatment for Hair Loss
- Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP)
Hair TransplantationAll surgical procedures performed at Bernstein Medical are based on techniques pioneered by Dr. Bernstein: Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT) and Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE). All FUE procedures at Bernstein Medical use the unparalleled speed and precision of the ARTAS Robot. Learn more about our state-of-the-art hair transplant procedures:
Patient InformationVisit our Patient Information portal where you will find forms and links for your first visit and for our medical and surgical patients. If you have any questions, our staff is happy to assist you on the phone, online, or in-person. Click below to get started:
Best Doctors in New YorkDr. Bernstein has been included in New York Magazine’s “Best Doctors” issue for 16 consecutive years and has won top accolades in the hair restoration industry, such as the Platinum Follicle Award. Drs. Wolfeld and Shah have been named Super Doctors "Rising Stars" in New York City. Read about our doctors and state-of-the-art facility:
Columbia UniversityDr. Bernstein is Clinical Professor of Dermatology at the College of Physicians & Surgeons of Columbia University in New York where he instructs residents in dermatologic surgery and the specialized art of surgical hair restoration. In addition to his own research in robotic hair transplants, Dr. Bernstein assists his Columbia University colleague Dr. Angela Christiano in clinical studies on hair cloning and genetics.
Robert M. Bernstein, MD, FAAD is a Clinical Professor of Dermatology at Columbia University in New York and a world renowned hair transplant surgeon. His landmark medical publications on FUT and FUE have revolutionized hair restoration. Dr. Bernstein is respected for his keen aesthetic sense, exceptional surgical skills, and honesty regarding his patients' best course of treatment. More »
About Dr. Wolfeld
Michael B. Wolfeld, MD is a board certified plastic surgeon and an attending physician at Lenox Hill Hospital on Manhattan’s Upper East Side in New York City. Dr. Wolfeld is an associate at Bernstein Medical where he performs surgical hair restoration using the newest technologies including the ARTAS® Robotic System. Dr. Wolfeld is nationally published and has lectured extensively on cosmetic surgery. More »
About Dr. Shah
Sejal Shah, MD, FAAD is an associate at Bernstein Medical and an assistant attending in Dermatology at St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center, an affiliate of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University. Dr. Shah specializes in hair loss and restoration in women and has initiated clinical trials investigating medical treatments for scarring hair loss. More »
- What is hair transplantation?
- What is Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)?
- What is Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)?
- What is Robotic FUE?
- Am I a candidate for a hair restoration procedure?
- Should I choose FUT or FUE?
- ARTAS System vs. Neograft?
- What does a surgical procedure cost?
- How long does a procedure take?
- How long does it take to heal?
- How do I set up a consultation?
- Do I meet with the doctor?
View All »
- What is a robotic hair transplant?
- Is there an ideal patient for robotic FUE?
- How does the ARTAS System work?
- How long does a robotic procedure take?
- How does recovery after robotic FUE compare to FUT or FUE procedures?
- Does robotic FUE require stitches?
- Does the robot work with all types of hair?
- How is robotic FUE different than manual FUE?
- Does the ARTAS robot perform the entire procedure?
- Does a robotic hair transplant eliminate pain and scarring?
- Can I preview results of my robotic hair transplant?
- Are there more risks using a robot or handheld instruments?
View All »
- Where in NYC is Bernstein Medical located?
- What is the fee for a consultation?
- Who performs hair loss consultations?
- Will the doctor at the consult also perform the surgery?
- How long does a consultation last?
- What if I can't visit your NYC facility for a consult?
- Can I schedule a hair transplant after a photo consult?
- Are lab tests required prior to surgery?
- What can I expect the day of my procedure?
- Does you accept insurance and can I submit for insurance reimbursement?
View All »
Dr. Bernstein was interviewed for an article in NYCityWoman.com that ran the gamut of available treatments for hair loss in women. Click to read selected quotations from the article.
Two physicians at Bernstein Medical, Dr. Michael B. Wolfeld and Dr. Sejal Shah, have been named “Rising Stars” by Super Doctors for their achievements in plastic surgery and dermatology, respectively.
“Hair extensions can create a problem over a long period of time, as constant tugging on the hair follicles compromises their blood supply and may cause permanent thinning,” he explains.
Dr. Bernstein was the featured guest on The Bald Truth, where he was interviewed about updates to the ARTAS Robotic System for FUE. He also discussed increasing demand for FUE procedures and surgical hair restoration in general.
- Can Resistance Training Accelerate Hair Loss?
- How are Recipient Sites Programmed into the ARTAS Robot?
- Will Robotic FUE Reduce the Cost Per Graft of a Hair Transplant?
- How Does the ARTAS Robot Avoid Transection of Hair Follicles?
- Should Doctors Perform Only FUE or FUT?
- Does Propecia Work in Older Patients?
- What is PRP and How Does It Promote Hair Growth?
- Which PRP System Do You Use?
- Can I Have PRP Therapy Instead of Surgery?
- Does PRP Therapy Involve Surgery?
- Does PRP Treatment Have Side Effects?
- Does Finasteride Need to be Taken Every Day?