Can Propecia Cause Hair Thinning?April 6th, 2007
Q: I am 22 yrs old and I started shedding hair in a very limited form since I was 20. I have now been on Propecia for nearly 8 months. To date I have not experienced any benefit. In fact, I have seen my hair continue to thin. Is it possible that this thinning is a result of Propecia? — M.M., Boston, Massachussetts
A: Usually the shedding associated with finasteride will subside by 6 months.
If you are still losing hair at 8 months, most likely the medication is not working. Unfortunately, it is not effective in about 15% of patients.
- What are your thoughts on topical finasteride?
- How do you best manage the irritation that comes with minoxidil?
- What is your Opinion of the Companies that Advertise Hair Loss Solutions like Hims and Keeps?
- Can Rogaine Cause Miniaturization?
- Are Topical DHT Blockers as Effective as Oral Finasteride?
Topic: Hair Loss Medication
Tags: Early Hair Loss, Hair Loss Medication, Hair Loss Medication Not Effective, Hair Thinning, Propecia (Finasteride), Shedding at Start of Treatment with Medication, Shedding on Propecia