Q: I read your 20 pages of FAQs but could not find this question addressed. I’m currently taking Finasteride 5 mg (one-fourth tablet per day), but since some drug companies make an oblong tablet that is hard to cut into four pieces, I found a plastic bottle with four equal measurements and I dissolve the tablet in water, shake it up and drink one-fourth of the liquid each day. I read somewhere that you’re not really supposed to dissolve the pill in water. Is that correct or is it OK to keep doing it the way I’m doing? — W.I., Winnetka, Illinois
A: I would cut up the pills with a pill-cutter – they do not need to be in equal parts. Just finish a whole pill every four days. You can also take ½ pill every other day and achieve the same effect. I am not sure of the stability of the medication in water over several days. It is probably OK, but why take the chance?
- What are your thoughts on topical finasteride?
- How do you best manage the irritation that comes with minoxidil?
- What is your Opinion of the Companies that Advertise Hair Loss Solutions like Hims and Keeps?
- Can Rogaine Cause Miniaturization?
- Are Topical DHT Blockers as Effective as Oral Finasteride?