When Can I Resume Smoking After a Hair Transplant?April 11th, 2007
Q: I had my hair transplant done 10 days back, I was a regular smoker (8-10) cigarettes everyday from last 10 years. I have stopped smoking from the day of my surgery, how long should I stop smoking after surgery?
A: I would wait a minimum of 10 days, but the longer the better.
The nicotine in the smoke constricts blood vessels and decreases the oxygen to the tissues and the carbon dioxide in smoke displaces the oxygen.
Both chemicals retard healing.Related Posts:
- If There is Some Bleeding at the Graft Site, Will it Affect Growth?
- Can Pulling Out Transplanted Hair Effect Growth After Hair Transplant?
- How Can I Make a Hair Transplant Less Obvious Post-op?
- Is it Normal to be Shedding Three Months After a Hair Transplant?
- After Hair Transplant, Can I Sleep Normally?
Tags: Blood Supply to Scalp, Cigarettes, Nicotine, Scalp Healing, Smoking, Smoking After Hair Transplant Posted by Robert M. Bernstein M.D. on April 11th, 2007 at 10:49 am