Instructions Before Your PRP Treatment
There are some minor preparations before Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) treatment at Bernstein Medical.
The following instructions are organized according to the days and weeks before your procedure.
PRIOR TO YOUR PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) TREATMENT
- If you are taking any blood thinners, please let the doctor know immediately, as they may represent a contra-indication to this treatment. These medications include Plavix, Coumadin and Heparin
- You may use Tylenol (acetaminophen) as needed prior to the treatment.
- If you are taking broad beta-blockers such as Inderal (Propranolol), please contact the doctor as this medication may need to be changed to a select beta-blocker in advance of the treatment.
- If possible, please refrain from, or minimize, smoking three days prior to and one day after the treatment. Smoking may impact healing and oxygen delivery to the scalp, therefore, your results may be improved the longer you are able to stop smoking before and after the treatment.
- Prescription medications (including heart and blood pressure medication) should be taken as prescribed right up to, and including, the day of and the day after your treatments.
- Minimize alcoholic consumption the day prior to your PRP treatment.
THE MORNING OF YOUR TREATMENT
- Shower the morning of your treatment and wash your hair very thoroughly using your regular shampoo. Do not apply sprays, gels, or any other styling products to your hair. If you wear a hair system, please remove it prior to shampooing and do not wear it before your PRP treatments.
- Eat regularly the morning of your treatment and please drink approximately 16 oz of water at least 2 hours prior to your treatment.
- Sedation is NOT required for PRP treatments. However, if you prefer, you may receive sedatives during the procedure. As these can make you drowsy, you cannot drive yourself home following your treatment after taking sedatives. Please arrange to have a responsible person drive you to your destination. If you are unable to have someone drive you home after your procedure and you live near our office, we will call a taxi for you and you will be responsible for the charges. If you need to drive yourself, you must make the doctor aware of your intention prior to the treatments.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at 212-826-2400.