Q: What is a double centrifuge system for PRP and what are the benefits? — S.B. ~ Manhattan, N.Y.
A: The double centrifuge system is a process used in preparing Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) where the whole blood is spun two times to optimize the concentration of the platelets. In the first spin, the red blood cells are separated from the plasma, which contains the platelets. In the second spin, the cellular components in the plasma are further concentrated. The platelets and growth factors that are recovered from the plasma are then injected into the scalp. Additional growth factors are released from the platelets after the injections and it is these proteins that provide the benefit of helping to maintain the hair and to stimulate growth. By using a double centrifuge technique, the ideal concentration of platelets and growth factors are achieved.
- Is PRP Safe for Older People with Hair Loss?
- How are PRP Treatments Different at Bernstein Medical?
- Can I Have PRP During a Hair Transplant?
- What is Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) and How Does It Promote Hair Growth?
- Which Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) System Do You Use?