Q: I have been taking finasteride for several years and I seem to be doing well. Does finasteride generally work long-term? — A.C., West University Place, Texas
A: With regard to efficacy, a recent long-term, uncontrolled study by Rossi et al. reported that the effects of finasteride were not reduced as time goes on and that a significant proportion of patients, unchanged after 1 year, improved later on. In addition these patients maintained a positive trend over time -– up to ten years. When comparing different age groups, they found that subjects older than 30 years showed a better hair growth in the long term than those who were younger. Of the 113 patients in the study followed for 10 years, only 14% worsened, whereas the remaining 86% had benefits.
Copy and paste this URL into your WordPress site to embed
Copy and paste this code into your site to embed