Study: High Hair Yields, Low Hair Follicle Transection Rates with ARTAS Robotic System in Korean Patients

November 13th, 2014

In a study[1] published in the January 2014 issue of the journal ‘Dermatologic Surgery,’ researchers from the Republic of Korea collected and analyzed robotically harvested follicular units in a clinical setting using the ARTAS® Robotic System. This is the first time such data has been collected from Korean patients.

Specifically, they looked at the yield of follicular units, the ratio of successfully extracted follicular units to the total number of attempted extractions, and the rate at which hair follicles were transected, or damaged, during the procedure.

They found that the ARTAS system was able to harvest multiple hairs with high yields and low transection rates.

The Study: Characteristics of Robotically Harvested Hair Follicles in Koreans

The researchers collected data on robotically harvested follicular units from 22 Korean patients in a clinical setting using the ARTAS system. To reduce variation due to differences in patients, they collected follicular units from the same scalp location on each patient.

On average, the researchers found that 95% of extraction attempts were successful in producing a follicular unit, while the remaining 5% of attempts resulted in follicular units either being lost inside the robot’s suction system or becoming attached to the robot’s dissection instrument.

Of the successfully extracted follicular units, the average transection rate was 4.9%. This is 16% to 38% lower than has been reported elsewhere[2],[3]. The researchers hypothesized that this lower transection rate could be due attribute these differences to the variability of a patient’s hair profile (e.g., waviness, thickness, color) and the surgeon’s minute control of the depth of punches.

Finally, they found that the robot was able to harvest follicular units that contained multiple hair follicles, anywhere from 2 to 5 follicles with the average being 2.4; However, they also found that as the number of hair follicles inside a follicular unit increased, the likelihood of transecting one or more follicles also increased.

The researchers concluded that the robot efficiently harvests not only follicular units with single hairs but also follicular units with multiple hairs. A limitation of the study was not comparing the characteristics of robotically harvested follicular units to manually harvested follicular units within the same group of patients.

References:
  1. Shin JW, Kwon SH, Kim SA, Kim JY, Na JI, Chan Park K, Huh CH. Characteristics of robotically harvested hair follicles in Koreans. J Am Acad Dermatol, 2014 Sep 13. pii: S0190-9622(14)01789-7. []
  2. Wasserbauer S. Robotic assisted harvest of follicular units: Abstract book of 19th annual scientific meeting of International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery; September 14-18, 2011; Anchorage, AK. pp. 252-6. []
  3. Kasai K, Haruyama I, Aikawa Y, Saito K. Advantages and disadvantages of FUE using ARTAS system form Japanese: Abstract book of 21st annual scientific meeting of International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery; October 23-26, 2013; San Francisco (CA). pp. 387-8. []



Related Posts:

Rating:  1 Star2 Stars3 Stars4 Stars5 Stars  

Tags:  , , , , , , , ,
Posted by Robert M. Bernstein M.D. on November 13th, 2014 at 11:54 am







Robotic FUE Hair Transplants
We perform all FUE procedures using the ARTAS Robot.

Read more
Physician Consults
Meet with our board certified doctors to diagnose your hair loss and discuss treatments.

Schedule a Consult
Hair Transplant Photos
Before & after photos of more than 200 of our patients.

Dr. Bernstein answers common questions about hair restoration.

Video & Audio
Dr. Bernstein's television appearances and Q&A on hair restoration.

Video & Audio
Reasons to Visit
Reasons to visit our hair restoration facility in NYC.

Read more
Hair Loss For Dummies
The layman's guide to hair restoration, FUE, medical treatments, and more.

Read more
Get the latest news and updates in hair restoration from Bernstein Medical.

Sign Up Newsletter Archive
Dr. Bernstein on The Oprah Winfrey Show
Dr. Bernstein explains hair restoration procedures to Oprah and Dr. Oz and shows them a patient’s results.

Watch the Video
Share the Bernstein Medical website with your friends.

Share




© 2005-2016 Bernstein Medical, P.C. All Rights Reserved.

ARTAS, ARTAS Hair Studio, and RESTORATION ROBOTICS logo are among the trademarks and/or registered trademarks of Restoration Robotics, Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.