What Hair Loss Medications are Effective DHT Blockers and are they Sold Over the Counter?April 21st, 2008
Q: Are there DHT blockers that are sold in the pharmacy over the counter?
A: The only effective DHT blockers are finasteride (Propecia, Proscar) and dutasteride (Avodart).
These medications require a doctor’s prescription and are not sold OTC. Nizoral is a topical shampoo for seborrhea (a type of dandruff) that is sold over the counter, but it is not effective in treating hair loss.Related Posts:
- Is the Dose of Finasteride the Same for Everyone?
- Does Propecia Work in Older Patients?
- Does Propecia Work for Life or Does it Stop Working Over Time?
- Is Propecia and/or Rogaine Mandatory after a Hair Transplant?
- Do Propecia (Finasteride) and Rogaine (Minoxidil) Work on Front of the Scalp?
Topic: Drugs (Medications)
Tags: Avodart/Dutasteride, DHT, DHT Blockers, Hair Loss Medication, Hair Loss Medication Over the Counter, Nizoral, Propecia (Finasteride), Proscar, Seborrhea Posted by Robert M. Bernstein M.D. on April 21st, 2008 at 6:49 am