Can Finasteride Change the Consistency of My Ejaculate?July 21st, 2009
Q: I’ve now been taking finasteride for just over 5 months. I have noticed that my semen quality has changed just in the last 3 months, and it seems now much less in quantity and is quite watery and clear in color. I think the current problems are due to the finasteride, what do you think?
A: Finasteride, the active drug in Propecia, can change the quality of the semen, since it is decreasing the component of seminal fluid that is secreted by the prostate. You may want to consider having your sperm counts checked, as finasteride can lower this. If the symptoms are not bothering you, and your sperm counts are normal, it should be OK to continue the medication. If you were having difficulty conceiving, then I would stop the medication.
- Is the Dose of Finasteride the Same for Everyone?
- Does Propecia Work in Older Patients?
- Does Propecia Work for Life or Does it Stop Working Over Time?
- Is Propecia and/or Rogaine Mandatory after a Hair Transplant?
- Do Propecia (Finasteride) and Rogaine (Minoxidil) Work on Front of the Scalp?
Topic: Drugs (Medications)
Tags: Change in Semen from Medication, Hair Loss Medication, Medication Side Effects, Propecia (Finasteride), Propecia Side Effects, Prostate, Sexual Side Effects, side ef, Sperm Count Posted by Robert M. Bernstein M.D. on July 21st, 2009 at 7:39 am